National Principles for Child Safe Organisations
The Anglican Church of Australia is committed to operating within the National Principles for Child Safe Organisations developed by the Human Rights Commission and endorsed by members of the Council of Australian Governments, including the Prime Minister and state and territory First Ministers.
The National Principles aim to provide a nationally consistent approach to creating organisational cultures that foster child safety and wellbeing. They reflect ten child safe standards recommended by the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse, and are the vehicle for giving effect to recommendations relating to the standards.
The National Principles have a broader scope that goes beyond child sexual abuse to cover other forms of potential harm to children and young people.
The National Principles are:
- Child safety and wellbeing is embedded in organisational leadership, governance and culture.
- Children and young people are informed about their rights, participate in decisions affecting them and are taken seriously.
- Families and communities are informed and involved in promoting child safety and wellbeing.
- Equity is upheld and diverse needs respected in policy and practice.
- People working with children and young people are suitable and supported to reflect child safety and wellbeing values in practice.
- Processes to respond to complaints and concerns are child focused.
- Staff and volunteers are equipped with the knowledge, skills and awareness to keep children and young people safe through ongoing education and training.
- Physical and online environments promote safety and wellbeing while minimising the opportunity for children and young people to be harmed.
- Implementation of the national child safe principles is regularly reviewed and improved.
- Policies and procedures document how the organisation is safe for children and young people.
National Office for Child Safety
The National Office leads the national coordination and implementation of the National Principles.
The Royal Commission identified the Anglican Church of Australia as one of nine institutions that should report on their progress implementing the Royal Commission’s recommendations.
The reports are available on the National Office’s website. All of the reports can be downloaded using the links below.
ACA Report to National Office for Child Safety 2022
ACA Report to National Office for Child Safety 2021
ACA Report to National Office for Child Safety 2020
ACA Report to National Office for Child Safety 2019
ACA Report to National Office for Child Safety 2018
- Children and Youth Ministry
- Community & Education Services
- Defence Force Ministry
- Doctrine & Theology
- Ecumenical Relations
- Families and Culture
- Indigenous Ministry
- Liturgy & Worship
- Mission & Ministry
- Refugees & Migrants
- Royal Commission
- Safe Ministry
- Social Issues & Public Affairs